Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Post, the first

Socrates said "The unexamined life is not worth living." Perhaps a tad hyperbolic, but his point is well taken. I'll modify that point, and offer this paraphrase: "The unexamined game is not worth playing." Again, hyperbole, but essentially, while it's perfectly fine and enjoyable to plop down and roll some dice, killing non-existent monsters and stealing their imaginary loot, you leave a lot of fun on the table if that's all you ever do.

But how to examine one's game? Unfortunately, I find I never know what I really feel/believe/know until I've written it down. I can't truly test my thoughts and beliefs until I'm forced to translate them into words on paper (or the screen). This process often reveals innumerable inconsistencies and errors which must each be dealt with before I'm satisfied, even if it means scrapping the whole thing and starting over. It makes for achingly slow writing, but I think (hope) the end product is the better for it.

Hence, this blog.

In addition to tabletop gaming stuff, focused mostly on what I'm currently playing, I'll occasionally throw in other items of geekery to break things up a bit. I'll try to keep things interesting and/or informative, and at least honest.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Flip, I agree with Socrates and with you too :). I am the same way my true feelings and thoughts usually come out when I write them down. I hope through your blog you can give a little more insight about the thrill of gaming to all of us who are not big gamers ... YET. Looking forward for more postings. Alondra.

    ReplyDelete